Search This Blog

Friday, December 4, 2009

SUPPER 12-4-09

CHICKEN QUESADILLAS

5 chicken leg quarters
($1.92)
---it was a half package of Kroger chicken that was a manager special @ $3.84
1 two cup package shredded cheddar cheese ($1.20 Kroger Value)
1 can cream of chicken soup (.27 cents)
--found Campbell's in the scratch and dent bin marked down then had
coupons on top of that!
1/8 cup (2 Tablespoons) diced red, yellow, green peppers and onions (.10 cents)
---I buy assorted packages of bell peppers from Aldi's. Chop them up then blanch them and store them in ziploc baggies in the freezer. I only put this on the adults quesadillas.
1 package of 10 Kroger Tortilla Shells ($1.50)
Kroger ranch dressing (free)
--Had a free coupon that Kroger sent me snail mail for their dressing.

Put chicken in crock pot with some water on high for about 5 hours until tender. Shred chicken off bone. Gently stir a can of cream of mushroom soup into chicken, do not dilute. Salt and pepper.

Spray skillet with cooking spray. Place tortilla in warm skillet, add shredded chicken, cheese, bell peppers/onions. Drizzle ranch dressing on top. Fold tortilla over. Flip over after 1-2 minutes and golden brown other side.

TOTAL COST OF MEAL: $4.99
Makes 10 servings at .50 cents a serving

Most recipes I make are with stuff I have in the pantry. I don't make menus and then go grocery shopping. Instead I take what I have and get creative.

I have a sweet tooth today and might make fudge. This is also easy and cheap to make for those who need something to make as a Christmas gift.
And if you were watching there was coupons on these items recently.

This can make many combinations of fudge!

1 bag of any kind of chips (chocolate, butterscotch, peppermint, white, etc) (.99 cents)
1 tub of any kind of frosting (.50 cents)

Melt chips in microwave safe bowl stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted.
Stir whole container of frosting into chips.

Pour into a greased baking dish. Refrigerate until hardened. Cut and serve.

TOTAL COST TO MAKE FUDGE WITH COUPONS AND SALES: $1.49 !!!

You could also add things like nuts, raisins, coconut, marshmallows, dried fruit, chopped up candy bars, crumbled cookies and so on if you have on hand. Don't run out and make a special trip for extra items!! Find uses for any extra Halloween candy that you may have or found discounted!

Save your frosting or Pringles containers throughout the year. Glue or tape Christmas wrapping paper to sides and put fudge inside to give as gifts.

Here are some combinations of chips and frostings:

--Peanut butter chips with milk chocolate chips (like Reeses)
--Chocolate chips with chocolate fudge frosting (for chocolate lovers)
--mint chocolate chips with chocolate frosting (like an Ande's mint)
--Cherry Chips with chocolate frosting (like chocolate covered cherries)
--milk chocolate chips with coconut pecan frosting
--Vanilla chips with Funfetti frosting


About Me

My photo
My name is Sherry, 39yrs old, from Columbus, Ohio. I am married, a SAHM, and have 3 children ages 9, 10 and 20. I have been frugal/thrifty all my life. I would like to share on this blog how we get by day to day on one income with a family of 5 with a dog and a cat. You will also hear about my everyday gripes about daily life and the cost of living. Hubby says my favorite saying is, "and that is another thing that pisses me off!"

My Blog List