Search This Blog

Sunday, December 13, 2009

12-13-09 PHANTOM/ STAND BY POWER

WHAT IS PHANTOM POWER?

Many gadgets, electronic devices and appliances draw power even when they're switched off or not in use, just by being plugged in, and though it may seem trivial, it can add up over time. It can account for 10% of a home's power usage!

If you go around and start unplugging things when not in use you will see
a decrease in your electric bill!

An easy way to shut multiple things off is to use a power strip.
_____________________________________________

WHAT THINGS USE PHANTOM POWER?

-Cell phone chargers

-Televisions

-Computer Monitors

-Computers

-Printers

-Stereos

-DVD Players

-VCR

-DVR

-Coffee Pot with built in clock

-Microwave with built in clock

-Some video games

-Anything with a remote, lcd display or internal clocks

_________________________________________________

Here are web site where you can calculate electrical usage of many appliances
or other electronics to get an idea of what it's costing you monthly on your electric bill.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/elecenergycalcs.html

http://www.consumerspower.org/home_energy/billestimator.php

http://www.psnh.com/Residential/ReduceBill/Applianceusage.asp

About Me

My photo
My name is Sherry, 39yrs old, from Columbus, Ohio. I am married, a SAHM, and have 3 children ages 9, 10 and 20. I have been frugal/thrifty all my life. I would like to share on this blog how we get by day to day on one income with a family of 5 with a dog and a cat. You will also hear about my everyday gripes about daily life and the cost of living. Hubby says my favorite saying is, "and that is another thing that pisses me off!"

My Blog List